Tuesday, July 8, 2014

What Do You Want to be When You Grow Up?

Recently, a girl a few years younger than me asked me, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” She was being partially facetious, and partly serious, mostly asking what I wanted to do with my life.

The question caught me off guard. I guess it wasn't something I had really thought about in a while, so I stopped and I thought…
  •  As a child I wanted to be a ballerina. My parents paid thousands of dollars for years to put me in ballet at one of the best local schools. I even reached the point where I did point work. When I got older, I started paying for my own classes, I've been in some ballet productions, and even just a couple of weeks ago I performed onstage at my most recent ballet recital.
  •  When I was a pre-teen my mother carted me around to chorus and acting lessons, giving me a taste of theatrical performing. And when I was seventeen, Mom took me to my very first audition. After that show, I was constantly in theatre for years. Even now, on my own, I’m back on the stage. The love has never left me.
  •   As a young teenager I decided that I wanted to be a writer. I wrote six full-length novels (we are talking around or over 300 pages apiece here) between the ages of thirteen and eighteen. Now, I’m not saying they were good or well-written, but they were good practice. Now here I am, years later, with a Creative Writing degree under my belt, and a wonderful job in that same field, writing magazine articles with many of my own works published.

…And I answered my friend and said, “I've already become everything I ever wanted to be.”

1 comment:

  1. It is so true. Why wait to become what you want to be? Do it now and always keep doing it! Abigail you have always been living your life, your dreams, and you will keep doing it! --Mom

    ReplyDelete