Monday, December 2, 2013

Tran-scen-dental.

Today I had an interesting discussion with a friend. We were talking about eras and movements, namely Postmodernism and Transcendentalism. He was looking at them from a social phenomenon and philosophy point of view, and I from a literature standpoint.

I began to tell him my interest in Transcendentalism, and how I have always felt like I identified with it a little. Granted, I know that their ideas of communes and separating out of society to get closer to nature don’t really work, especially from an economic point of view (yeah yeah … I know, we all need trade and economic stimulation, and work incentive…). I get that. Yet, there is something about that idea of utopia, that idyllic way of life that has always intrigued me.

And then it hit me: Utopia.

Utopia means “paradise” or “heaven.” I think that what I love about the whole Transcendentalist movement is the whole concept of living in a utopia. This of course is not something that will ever be possible on this flawed earth with us, a flawed people. But, someday, I know that I will reach that utopia. Now don’t freak out. I’m talking about heaven, with God, you know in a biblical sense.

I think that we all have an inward desire for heaven, a desire to be with God. Even those who don’t know God feel that desire because we were all designed by the same Creator. Why do you think we all long for world peace? We want that sense that we are safe, that everything is alright, and that it’s always going to BE alright.

It’s a very human longing, and I think that’s what I identify with most in the concept of Transcendentalism. I do love nature, and I do love the idea of peace here on earth, but I know that the real peace, the kind that will last forever—that “utopia” is still yet to come.

And I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment