Thursday, November 14, 2013

"They Can't Take That Away From Me"

Back when I first began ballet, we did a recital piece to the song “They Can’t Take That Away From Me.” I think that Frank Sinatra sang the version that we used. It has lyrics that have always sort of echoed in the back of my mind since I was 12, but I never really thought about them before.

This morning, for some reason, the lyrics came to mind again. The song goes:

We may never, never meet again
On that bumpy road to love
Still I'll always,
Always keep the memory of...

The way you hold your knife.
The way we danced until three.
The way you've changed my life.
No, no - they can't take that away from me.
No, they can't take that away from me.

Recently, for the first time this year, I've been able to think about my lost love without pain. And it’s been such a relief. In doing so, I realize that there are a lot of things about my almost-forever romance that I’m never going to forget. And in a way, it’s almost nice to think back and remember how I had it *“good and perfect for a little while.”

And even if I never feel that way again, it was nice to know that it happened once.



*Name the movie this quote is from, and you get all sorts of brownie points!

No comments:

Post a Comment