Friday, May 2, 2014

Cuz You Gotta Have the Faith, the Faith, the Faith...

I struggle with faith. I’m not necessarily talking about my faith in God, because I trust that God exists. But my faith in other areas of my life is weak and wavering.

Last year my mantra was “Just have faith.” I wrote it everywhere. There was even a time when I discovered the words “have faith,” written on a tiny slip of paper that had gotten jammed up inside of my phone’s charging socket. There was absolutely no way that I or anyone else that I knew could have put it there. I honestly have no idea where it came from, but it definitely helped to bolster my faith, even in tiny miracles.

And for Christmas, my mother bought me a tiny silver ring that simply has the word “FAITH” written across the band. I wore it so often that the letters wore away and I had to buy a new one. These days, I refuse to stop wearing it, because I need that daily reminder to have faith. I need to look down at my finger each day and see the word and be reminded to just trust God and His plan for my life.

Some days I have so little faith that my life will work out in a good way. I talked last night with one of my best friends, and we talked about relationships, love, and where our lives are headed. We were both alarmed by how cynical life had made us in later years, and scared because we don’t want to go through life alone. I even told her that I no-longer believe in soul mates. I feel like a little girl who grew up to realize that happily ever afters aren't like they’re portrayed in Disney films.

I’m scared, which is a lack of faith. I’m not scared for my well-being. Oddly enough I've never really been scared of that. God takes care of me, physically. I always feel His beautiful presence watching over me. Yet, I’m scared for my heart. And that’s the kicker. I trust God with my bodily safety, yet, I don’t with my heart. What’s up with that?

Recently, I've started to let my guard down a bit, and let’s just say that I fell into a mess of feelings. And do you know what? It scares the hell out of me. I’m terrified of letting anyone get too close, because in my experience, anytime you let anyone inside and learn to love again (in any sort of relationship), you give that person a chance to hurt you. Usually they do so unintentionally, but it still hurts just the same.

A dear friend recently told me that “faith is a muscle. You have to exercise it, use it, in order to strengthen it.” But sometimes I don’t want to strengthen it! It’s so much easier to just curl up into my shell and use my favorite defense mechanism to just deny that I even have feelings of any sort. Believe it or not, but that’s been the main way I've gotten through life thus far. I like denial! Denial is my friend!

But even I know that it doesn't last forever…and sooner or later I’m forced to tell the truth to myself. So this time around, I’m going to try faith. I’m going to keep trying faith. I’m attending the Faith Gym, and I’m working those faith muscles. And I’m going to keep telling myself that it’s going to be alright. And I’m going to keep putting my life in God’s hands.

And maybe someday I won’t need to wear my faith on my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment