Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Great Paper-Zillah and A Good Guy Flick!

So…yesterday was the first day that I’ve really had to actually work, while I’m at work. I had a student waiting for me when I arrived. As soon as I was finished helping him, another student came in. It was good to be busy. I felt sorry (and frustrated) for this one student who arrived a little bit later. She had never used a computer ever, so I spent most of the time showing her how to just turn on the computer, put in her thumb drive, and use the word processor. It’s hard to believe that there are people who don’t know how to use certain technology, while I feel it is as natural as breathing. Even though I felt bad for her and wanted to help, I must admit, my fuse was getting short.


Later in the afternoon I received a couple of papers by email. These are a little harder to work with, because I really can’t fix anything on them. I’m only allowed to point out big, reoccurring errors, like run-on’s and fragments. The first paper took me just under an hour to review. It wasn’t a bad paper, but I found the job to be somewhat strenuous. That was nothing. The second paper was like Paper-Zillah! I wanted so badly to just go through and rewrite the entire thing, but alas! That goes completely against my job, and my morals. I did the best I could with it, but it took me over an hour, and I was getting really discouraged by the end. I felt so bad sending that paper back with a million and one comments written all over it, but it was the best I could do. I have a new respect for English teachers who actually have to grade that stuff. I also have a renewed disappointment in school systems that send their graduates to college with less than a basic knowledge of the English language.

Alright, that’s my rant for today. I’m at work again, and there isn’t a student in sight, not for English, and not even for math. I took advantage of the time to do a little writing. Even though this is completely off topic, I’ve got this strange desire to do a “guy date” and just grab a friend and go see as many loud, blow-up-everything, superhero movies as I possibly can before they’re out of theatres. I sort of miss doing that with the guys I used to date, or hang out with. It’s a lot of fun, and I’ve discovered that I like those movies just as much as I do my favorite chick flicks. So…popcorn anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment