Monday, June 27, 2011

Vanished into the Mists....Like Brigadoon....

My show, Brigadoon, is over. It has vanished into the annoying mists that caused the entire cast to choke and sputter backstage. It was a wonderful final performance. I got to play the part of Maggie and dance the final ballets. Ballet has become a part of my life again, and I’m reluctant to let it go. I finally feel like a real dancer, unlike I have ever felt before in my life. I owe that sense of accomplishment to the choreographer, director, and fellow dancers who all supported my endeavors to get back on my toes. I am proud of what I have done, and I will treasure that experience always.


I have met many wonderful people through this show, and have been reunited with others that I haven’t worked with in a year, or years. One of the best parts about theatre is that it is a family. I’ve discovered that theatre is a place for misfits. Ah yes, sad, but true. We are all very quirky people who have found that even though we have our own lives outside of the stage, we work best together, and that we relate to one another. We just fit. Even people who I felt were so different from me at the begging of the show, and I thought would never be close to me, have become just that. Theatre teaches one to look past a person’s looks and all outward personas, and to just focus on the individual at his or her very core. That’s what I love about it. I am so different from so many of them, just as they are so different from me and each other, yet, we accept that, we accept the quirks, and realize that those differences are what make us FIT.

I love my theatre family, and last night, I was reunited with some friends who I haven’t seen or worked with since I first started theatre many years ago. I looked around me at one point in the evening, and saw that I was surrounded by several members of the very first cast that I ever worked with. All at once, I was back in “Ah, Wilderness” and was 17 again, experiencing love and theatre for the first time. They say that your first time for anything is something that you can never recapture. That might be true, but sometimes, you can get awfully darn close.

Together, we relived memories, shared stories, encouraged each other, caught up on current events in our lives, gave gifts, hugged, sang show tunes, and took dozens of pictures. It’s always hard to leave these people, but I’ve got an autograph book full of messages, a camera full of photos, a mind full of memories, and a heart full of love for the actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment