Thursday, October 10, 2013

A Strange Message from a Former English Major

Don’t live your life in books.

Yep, I said it. *GASP!* Here I am, Queen of Commas, Princess of Punctuation, Duchess of Diagramming (okay…so I was reaching for that last one), and I am telling you to not let your life be lived out in books.

Now wait, hear me out on this one. The same thing goes for video games, movies, and television. We all have those friends who spend most of their times in front of a screen or behind a book. Don’t get me wrong, I find all of the aforementioned means of entertainment to be delightful (yes, even the video games); however, most recently I’ve come in contact with a lot of people who get pretty much all of their life experience from entertainment, whether it’s books or something else. The “readers” for example, are some of the coolest people I know, and I have much in common with them because we all have read so much. Yet, I’m finding more and more people who have never really stepped out past the books to actually do any of the things that they like to read about.

Now, I’m not saying that instead of reading about an affair that you should go out an actually have one.

 Yeahhh….NO.

The entrance to "my" secret garden
But, instead of reading about traveling to far-off places, go to them. It doesn't have to be Ireland or Australia, it can just be checking out the state next to yours, or doing all the touristy things around town that you've never done before.

Find a secret garden, rather than only reading about one. They exist. I found one once. Go to those hipster cafes and sip exotic lattes. Venture out into the woods and get lost. Drive until you don’t know where you are anymore. Who knows where you might end up.

Just, don’t let all of your adventures be confined to books. Books are for inspiring life, as a map of what life could be, what it has been for other people. Books should be a launching pad for your own adventures, not a replacement.

And then later, maybe you’ll have some stories of your own to write down. As for me, well, I’m on the look-out for my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment