Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Encouragement Challenge

God is a God of encouragement. Sometimes He encourages us directly, like through the Bible or even in other ways, like when He speaks to us, or in my case, leaves us little encouraging notes. And other times, I think He encourages us indirectly, through other people.

Well, this morning was one of “those days.” It’s raining and cold, and little things just weren't going right. Then, I opened my inbox on Facebook and read a wonderfully encouraging little message from a dear friend. It was just a few words, but it was kind and uplifting. Just the fact that I felt thought about was lovely.

So that was my first encouragement. Here is the second:
Last Friday I received a birthday package from one of my closest friends. In the package among the various awesomeness such as a birthday poem, a reindeer finger puppet, little pocket journals, earrings, and so much more, was a little shell box with something rattling around inside of it. I didn't open it, because her birthday poem had sad to save the box for a day when I really needed encouragement. So, I saved it. Granted, I didn't save it very long because curiosity was killing me, but I waited four days! That’s good, right?

So today, just unable to shake away a case of the “glums” and still absolutely dying to see what was in the little shell box, I finally opened it. Inside was a little silver token, about the size of a nickel. On the face of the token was a praying angel (no, all you Whovians, not a weeping angel). It felt smooth and cool in my hand as I brushed my finger over its surface.

Just like the little “Have Faith” note that I found in my purse the other day, I feel as if God is using this little present from a friend as a friendly reminder that He is still there, and that He wants me to put my attention on him, instead of all the little inconveniences and frustrations of life.

So here is your challenge for the day: write to someone, anyone, just one sentence of encouragement. Or if you're really feeling outgoing, send someone a little gift. It doesn't have to be anything big, just something to show you're thinking of them.

I’m going to do this too. I might do it more than once. I guarantee you that it’ll lift someone's spirits and it might even make you feel a little bit better too.

And besides, you never know how God might use you to help someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment